View Single Post
Old
02-20-2011, 02:31 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Yes. Unfortunately, history answers your question. Look at our coach. I don't want to believe Lombardi wants a team of Mike Ricci but I keep looking at his moves and lack of moves and I wonder...does he?
I think he does. Him and his coaching staff are still stuck on that mid-90s era clutch and grab hockey, as evidenced by the talent that has been acquired and the players and lineups that Terry Murray ices. They have established a set system that even highly talented players must conform to. Otherwise they're going to be watching from the press box.

Notice how the Kings have no creativity whatsoever whenever any player handles the puck. It's always stop and go, dump and chase, grind it out and score ugly goals. This team cannot setup an offensive rush that generates a scoring chance. They also lack the talent and ability to score off of rushes and don't have a player with the ability to place a deadly shot coming down the wings.

Additionally, they are also missing a player with the ability to get the puck to the slot. The lack of puck movement and creativity can be attributed to that. Their puck movement is always along the outside boards, never do they try to penetrate through the middle where most goals are generated.

Not only has Lombardi openly stated that if he could have a team full of Mike Ricci's, he would, but he also said that his favorite line when he managed the Sharks was when he had Mike Ricci centering Scott Thornton and Niklas Sundstrom.

I have yet to witness this team find the right balance of talent, grit and speed. Looking at their latest string of success, their wins predicated on team defense, tight games, low scoring contests or wins via shootout.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote