View Single Post
Old
02-20-2011, 01:01 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
One of those guys had to go head to head with both Gretzky and Lemieux. That same guy led his team in scoring by some pretty wide margins.

Modano was not better in the play-offs.
ROFL! You mean like the 38 and 30-point chasms Modano led his teams by in the 1996 and 1997 seasons? A couple years later he also led 2nd-place Hull by 23 and 22 points. Then a couple years later, 28 and 30-point leads again. I count three other times he had a lead of at least 10 points. The Best Federko did was 30, 28, 18, 15, 14, 11. And once in that period he was outscored by 23. How is this more impressive than having six seasons of leading your team by 22+ points? Particularly when 22points in the 1980s is not like 22 in the DPE?

(it is a great, great Sunday morning when I get to wake up to see something that I don't have to argue with, becuase it is just plain factually incorrect and all I have to do is point out how incorrect it is! )

As for Gretzky and Lemieux, they're not important in a comparison of players who routinely finished 8th-20th in scoring. Everyone in that "class" had a couple players who they were practically guaranteed to finish behind. Modano had Jagr and Forsberg.

So you would take 101 points in 91 games (1.11), from back in the 1980s, when 75% of the league made the playoffs and scoring was 25% higher, with almost 100% of these matches occurring in mostly brutal Norris division matchups, over 145 points in 175 games (0.83), most of which were in the DPE, with just over half the teams in the league making the playoffs? That's...... interesting.

What are you going to try next? That Modano was not actually better defensively? Or that 8, 9, 9, 9, 10, 12, 18, 20 in the 80s is more impressive than 8, 9, 10, 13, 14, 15, 16, 30 a decade and a half later?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
The problem I have with this whole Krutov deal is that during the 60s-70s there were players playing high on cocain. So how should we punish them if we are going to punish Krutov?
Did the cocaine make them better or give them an unfair advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
Guys, could I ask someone to please help me for my Cecil Dillon bio. I'm pretty happy and excited about the stuff I've found from newspaper on him, but my biography will be incomplete, as I can't find any reference in books (Google Book left me down this time). I'm not asking anyone to write down anything, but it would be VERY appreciate if someone could scan me their little biography in the Ultimate Hockey book, Rangers Top-100 book and the Trail of the Stanley Cup. Obviously, as a token of my great appreciation, the helper(s) will forever be immortalized in my biography, in the 'Biography Contributor' section
I've wanted to draft him a few times, I've looked for good info, it's very rare. Even his bios just say he was a good scorer. We already know that from his numbers. There's nothing about his checking, defense, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
- For top-5 split-league finishes, in converting them to a modern equivalent, I use the following system:.
You are on the right track with this system. However, (and I don't think this particularly matters in a comparison between Keats and Fredrickson specifically but could matter at other times) there were three major leagues in 1922, 1923, and 1924, before the PCHA and WCHL merged. In 1923 and 1924 they played an interlocking schedule so were "almost" one league but had separate leaderboards.

So I think in those first three seasons you need to treat these players as though they finished highly in "one of three leagues", not just "one of two". Obviously you're smart enough to understand what that means your formula would have to look like.

Or, if you think the WCHL was weak for a couple years, then combine their leaderboard with that of the PCHA and consider it one league, then do the same thing you did.