View Single Post
Old
02-21-2011, 12:23 AM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 50
I'm not usually one to reply to obvious trolls, but this one seems like a lot of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonnaneedsomewine View Post
Last year no one wanted to include him in a deal for Kovalchuk or Kaberle. Now people are considering trading him for a 3rd round pick. Shows how over valued he was based on emotions.
By "people" you mean Leafs fans?

I'm not sure how it's Clarkson's fault he was injured last season or his fault that he was cleared to came back to play too early and re-injured his ankle though (feel free to blame the NJD medical staff for that one). Or that for the first 45 games of this season he was on one of the worst offenses in NHL history. But whatever.

Quote:
Lamoriello has lost his touch.
You seem pretty confident about this one.

Quote:
He's made a plethora of bad decisions over the last few years. He has overpaid for guys like Rolston, Salvador, White, Clarkson, and even Zubrus who is a nice player but not worth 3.4 million.
Lou is good, but not even he could have foreseen Colin White having a freak accident and losing vision in his right eye (which happened AFTER White's current contract was given out, by the way). Even with only one good eye, White is still an outstanding defensive defensemen and one of the best penalty killing defensemen in the league. Well worth his contract, it's scary to think how much of a bargain he would be if he could actually see.

Salvador is a very good #4 defensive defenseman. Go to the Devils injury thread and check out what we have to say about Salvador. Everyone wishes he could come back next year because he's such a reliable stay at home defenseman.

Zubrus is a great player. Would I like it if his cap hit was $500K smaller? Sure, that would be great. But I challenge you to find find me 1 (one) Devils fan who doesn't think that Dainius Zubrus hasn't earned every single penny he's been paid as a member of the New Jersey Devils organization.

Clarkson, like I said, most Devils fans wouldn't trade him for the draft picks involved in this thread, beyond that I'm not going to say much.

Rolston, yeah whatever. 17 points in 18 games since being waived.

Quote:
He has failed to address the team's gaping hole on defense. He has yet to replace any of the losses of Stevens, Niedermeyer, or Rafalski. Instead of trying to get a franchise blue-liner, he goes after Kovalchuk, a franchise loser.
Then do you care to explain why we have more money committed to defense this year than we did last year, even though last season we won the Jennings trophy?

And how exactly do you recommend we replace Hall of Fame defensemen like Stevens and Niedermayer? Kind of hard when you're picking in the mid 20's for 15 years in a row. Short of trading Parise I don't see how we can get an elite defensive talent into this organization.

Quote:
He failed to address the team's need for a long term solution at center and opted to trade for and lock up Kovy long term on a ridiculous contract. A Russian winger who does not play defense well and does not fit the Devils protoype. You never give a Russian a long term deal unless he's Datsyuk. You also don't sign a guy who has been a minus player his whole career to a 100+ million dollar deal.
Umm, have you been watching Devils games lately? Kovalchuk has been killing penalties (and doing a damn good job), defending leads with a minute to go, and backchecking like a monster. Oh, and he's still scoring too (7 goals in 10 games, four of them game winners. 20 points in 18 games during the 2nd half of the season).

And I'm not so sure what's ridiculous about the contract, they have one of the league's best goal scorers locked up at a monster discount through his prime years. Personally that sounds like great cap management to me.

But whatever, keep living in 2006. It's not like players can change or anything.

Quote:
He does not have a young promising goalie prospect waiting in the wings to replace the quickly declining Brodeur.
You mean like Antti Niemi or Brian Boucher? In today's NHL you don't need bluechip goalie prospects. The league is saturated with more goalies than available spots, leaving many to go over to Europe because they can't find a home in the NHL. If a free agent pick up like Hedberg can walk on to the team and provide quality goaltending in a pinch when Brodeur gets hurt, I don't see why we can't pursue a UFA goalie when Brodeur retires. Or who knows, maybe we luck out and one of Frazee/Clermont/Wedgewood turns out to be legit.

Quote:
He has gone through coaches similar to the way the Islanders went through coaches late in the 90's and early in the 2000's. There is no stability and it seems every year the team is searching for a new coach.
You do know Lou has only fired two coaches since 2002 right? There's no way he could have anticipated Pat Burns or Larry Robinson having health issues, or Brent Sutter bolting home because he made arrangements with his brother behind Lou's back. Julien was a hack the player had no respect for (John Madden used to fired pucks at him in practice)

Quote:
He made a horrible decision to hand the keys over the MacLean, who has never proven anything and sucked when he was running the offense under Sutter.
Hindsight is 20/20. He coached a pretty bad Lowell squad to the playoffs last year. And I don't know what you're talking about, under Sutter the Devils had their best offense since 2001.

Quote:
The only good decision he has made recently was hiring Lemaire for the 09-10 season and re-hiring him after cutting bait with MacLean. And all you fraud fans hated that hiring last year. You all *****ed and moaned about how you can't win with Lemaire's style of play and how you need an "up tempo puck possession aggressive forecheck offense." Well you got what you wanted with MacLean and it was good for dead last.
Probably because Lemaire has changed a lot. Lemaire has said so himself.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/f...in_his_career/

And no, we didn't get what we wanted because MacLean never actually implemented that uptempo style. He didn't have any system to speak of and let the players get complacent. There was no structure, it was pretty much 18 grown men playing street hockey against NHL teams. And the whole team was grossly out of shape when Lemaire took over.

But again, hindsight is wonderful isn't it?

Quote:
Could you have been any more wrong?
I was going to say no, but now that I see how wrong you are I suppose we could do worse.

Quote:
Lemaire's system and coaching has turned around the worst team in the league this year and made them somewhat relevant. His system made Brodeur's stats look better than his play truly was in 2009-10 by limiting the amount of quality shots opponents had. How many times did Marty face 18-20 shots and give up 2-3 goals, all of which were somewhat soft? Far too often.
lolwut? Brodeur lead the league in wins and shutouts, had a stellar .916 SV% and 2.24 GAA last year and was 3rd in Vezina voting. I distinctly remember him having 29 wins in 39 starts last season. If it wasn't for the Langenbrunner-inspired collapse of the entire team after the Olympics he would have gotten 50 wins EASILY.

Quote:
You got your sniper winger who has little interest in playing defense, has an albatross contract, has only had a positive +/- rating once in his career, and has never won a playoff series.
You already made this point and I've already addressed it so I won't do so again.

Quote:
This team has been trending down ever since they lost to Carolina in the 06 playoffs.
Do you understand how bad our team was in 2006?

This was our team going into training camp.

Sergei Brylin-Scott Gomez-Alexander Mogilny
Jeff Friesen-Viktor Kozlov-Brian Gionta
Jay Pandolfo-John Madden-Jamie Langenbrunner
Krzystof Oliwa-Erik Rasmussen-Grant Marshall

Brian Rafalski-Richard Matvichuk
Vladimir Malakhov-Colin White
Paul Martin-Dan McGillis

Zach Parise barely made the team and Patrik Elias missed the first half of the season in the hospital with Hepatitis A.

The fact that they won their division with that abomination of a roster, then managed to completely overhaul their team WHILE STILL not only being competitive, but getting a top 4 seed every year is nothing short of mind boggling.

Quote:
07: As the #2 seed they are upset by the #4 seeded Senators in 5 games.
You mean the Eastern Conference champions? You conveniently forgot to mention that there were 28 other teams in the league who did worse than the Senators that year.

Quote:
08: Abused by Rangers in embarrassing fashion in 5 games. Marty clearly lets the moron that is Avery get into his head.
The Rangers were the only team in the East we had a losing record against that season. Yeah it was a poor match-up, whatever.

Quote:
09: Blow a 3-2 series lead as the #3 seed and lose to the #6 seed Carolina Hurricanes.
Yeah, that was pretty rough. Again, this was another poor match-up, they were the only playoff team in the East we had a losing record against, and they also went to the ECF.

Quote:
10: Get physically *****ed around as a #2 seed by a #7 seeded Flyers team in 5 games that limped into the playoffs on the last day of the regular season and was very banged up.
Again, you conveniently forget to mention that this is the same Flyers team who came back from a 3-0 series deficit and made it to within 1 goal of Game 7 in the Cup finals. Also the only playoff team we had a losing record against that season.......starting to see a pattern?

Quote:
11: Worst team in the league for the majority of the season until Lemaire works some magic and takes them on a great run to get them to a respectable point.
This one's still being written so I wouldn't be to proud of yourself quite yet.

Quote:
Choking in the playoffs, salary cap hell, vastly overpaid and underperforming players, continual coaching carousel, a close to 70 year old GM who is becoming more and more senile as the days go on.
I'm kind of embarrassed that I got baited into replying to this obvious cry for attention but it's not like I had anything better to do on a Sunday night.

Quote:
Time for a change.
Thanks for playing.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote