New York Islanders - Toronto Maple Leafs
View Single Post
02-21-2011, 02:10 AM
Join Date: Apr 2009
Originally Posted by
While Komi is most likely a better defenseman then Eaton, I don't think he is 2M dollar better. The Islanders basically need to go on the UFA market this summer and spend 4-6M on a defender who is better then both guys(a pipedream would be Jovonoski, a more realistic person I wouldn't mind is Hannon)
That's the thing -- sure you can make a case for Eaton being better value, but at some point, the Isles need a guy that actually
in a top 4.
Hannan and Komisarek are very similar calibre shutdown defencemen with the edge problably going to Komisarek, while Komi 3 years younger than him. You then have to consider that New York is problably going to be well down on the priority list for Hannan. Something like 30% of players said it's the last place they'd want to play, and of the other 70%, I wouldn't be suprised if a majority had the Isles at #2-#5 least desirable destinations.
For the Isles to sign a guy like Hannan, you're problably looking upwards of 3 years and $4.5m per season, then trying to find a team to take on Eaton's contract in the offseason. It doesn't make any sense to do that on a guy who is 32 years old, when you can spend only $4.1m average over the next 3 yearrs and get a younger guy like Komi.
Originally Posted by
i wasnt bitter, I was dancing in the Streets you guys got stuck with him instead of us....... Thats outright hilarious.
The fact is that the leafs are rebuilding and Komisarek the Slug that he is is taking up valuable cap space and a roster spot That would be better off being given to a younger and more promising player with upside, and
you would give your firstborn child to have anyone of Amac, Hamonic, or Martinek or DeHaan for Komisarek and you know it
Sadly for leaf fans you are stuck with him.....Most teams wont touch him because he is so overpaid and is ill suited for todays game
I'm sure you were -- once a guy you wanted becomes no longer available, people tend to only look at his flaws trying to make themselves feel better about not getting him. I'd rather have a guy like Hamonic than Komisarek, but that's because Toronto needs a bottom-of-the-lineup puckmover and is loaded with stay-at-home-defencemen who have big contracts..
For the Isles, they're much better off with a guy like Komisarek in their lineup than they are with Eaton, and have the cap space to accomodate that.
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by seanlinden