Thread: Waived: Nik Hagman (Calgary)
View Single Post
Old
02-21-2011, 12:58 PM
CSimpson18

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
OP, Let me ask you this question - hypothetically speaking, let's say Hagman becomes a UFA this summer.

If on UFA day, Hagman was interested in coming to the Oilers but only for a $3 million one year contract - would you sign him?

I wouldn't. Not because he isn't a good player, but because there's no room on the wings for him in the top 9 and Hagman doesn't fill a need.

Needs:
- a shutdown centreman who can win faceoffs.
- top four veteran defender who can shutdown the opposition.
- a pp quarterback to replace Foster.

Hagman doesn't do any of the above. On the wings, he'd be competing with Hemsky, Penner, Hall, Eberle, Paajarvi, Omark, Brule, Jones. Hemsky, Penner and Hall are frankly better than Hagman and I would rather give development and game time to young future scorers like Eberle, Paajarvi, and Omark. Hagman versus Brule or Jones? Maybe if we trade one of those two by the deadline, I could see Hagman replacing them, but I would also be up for giving a prospect an opportunity like Hartikainen, O'Marra or Colin Macdonald.
Fair points, and no I wouldn't give him 3.0mil. Based on his last 3 years he deserves maybe 2.0, 2.5 tops. This year he's been worth 1.0 to 1.5 but mostly because of his diminished role. So say he's worth somewhere around 1.5-2.2mil. Not the end of the world. You give up nothing, you have an asset you can potentially flip for a pick at the deadline and you have some experience in the lineup.

Saying the Oilers can't fit him in when you have JFJ and SMac in the lineup is about the least convincing argument I can imagine. Oilers have cap space to burn, with few good UFAs this July. And those UFAs that are half decent won't want to come to Edmonton except for an overpayment. In that light, 3.0mil isn't the worst contract in the world. You could end up saving a mil in UFA for a similar player or you could walk away empty handed and have to play JFJ again...

I would think long and hard about claiming him. The arguments against it have failed to convince me not to.

CSimpson18 is offline   Reply With Quote