Thread: Waived: Nik Hagman (Calgary)
View Single Post
Old
02-21-2011, 01:09 PM
Roof Daddy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMan View Post
As opposed to the OP, I will say Hagman is soft and underachieving this year. He's not exactly a pay the price type hockey. And putting him on the 4th line is absurd. The Oilers already have wingers that can score goals. And, no he can't play on the 3rd line, can he PK? No he can't. What a waste of money this would be.
Maybe he can't in Calgary for some reason, but he has in the past. 07/08 season for Dallas he scored 4 shorties and was a regular PKer for them. They were 2nd in the NHL that year. It seems like he may be more of a victim of circumstance in Calgary (ie not a Sutter type of guy). He doesn't hit much, but from what I remember watching him with the Leafs he was always aggressive on the forecheck.

I think its worth the pick up if we move Penner (which I think we should). Hagman has a deadly release and would be a motivated pick-up due to being waived, as well as being in a contract year next year. Seems he's just the type that needs the right kind of coach, but if Renney's that guy and he puts up 25+ for us next year, he'll be worth a 2nd for sure at the 2012 deadline. Again, this likely only happens if we have a deal in place for Penner.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote