View Single Post
Old
02-21-2011, 01:26 PM
northernKing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
Your missing the point. That team that went for the cup was a one and done...this year is obviously a down year, next year who knows but I doubt the can be favorites. So if its one shot at the cup then 2 years to retool that is one and done. Had Chi been able to keep Ladd and one of Buff/Steg and a defensemen then they most likely would still be a top team. But they lost 3 times the players most teams do after winning a cup and that was due to some inflated contracts that they gave out before the cup run.
Well I guess we have different opinions on the term "one and done". I think CHIC will win another Cup in the next 3 yrs. If they do I don't consider them a "one and done".
Personally with the Cap going up by a few Million I see CHIC being just fine.
The smart thing for them to do would be to sign guys like Frolov, who have something to prove, to a chaep one year deal. Its win-win as he would put up solid numbers enabling him to get a better deal the following year from some team and the Hawks get solid production from a top 6 fwd on the cheap.

This is similiar to what the Canucks have done with Torres. He will likely sign a better deal in the summer somewhere else (TOR?) or maybe even in Vancouver at a higher salary. Both parties benefit. SJ did the same with Malholtra last year and he ended up getting good money in Vancouver. There are always UFA who have something to prove.

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote