View Single Post
Old
02-21-2011, 03:27 PM
Mad Habber

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swe_hab View Post
I also would like to shed Gomez 7,35 mil cap hit. Assuming any team is stupid enough to go through with this there are however obvious problems with this reasoning. For one: how do we replace him? The only really good center available through free agency this summer i Richards (whom have already turned us down once). Other than that the only ones that are interesting are Backes and Connolly (even though he's quite the gamble due to his history of injuries).

So if the FA-market is not an option. What do we do then? Hope that Eller will have a bigger impact next season and can fill the 2nd line center position, or that Leblanc will be ready?
So we have to replace him in July. I'm thinking hold on to that cap space and wait a while. We might be able to get someone in November or December to fill that spot on the cheap if a team is looking to make a trade to fill another need.

Sort of like this:
Team A has a center prospect that develops ahead of schedule and they need a D.
Team B has excess D but no cap room and no need for another C.
Habs have tons of cap room and offer less than value for the center to team A.

There are plenty of teams every year who would like to make a salary dump. If we hang on to it, we may be able to fill it at a later date for a cheaper price. In the meantime, we let Eller and DD be 2a and 2b.