Thread: Proposal: Tor / Col
View Single Post
Old
02-21-2011, 06:16 PM
seanlinden

vCash: 500
That's just way too many moving pieces in a deal. Realistically, Stastny & Liles would both hold value to Toronto, but if the Avs are going to trade them, clearing out thier combined $11.1m in salary next year. In the case of Liles, it also might be a situation where they know he's not in the long term plans, and are deciding whether it's best to get rid of him now or a year from now.

For Liles, I think the consensus is that he's problably worth a 1st + mediocre prospect, maybe Toronto finds a way to do it with their 2nd as the centrepiece.

For Stastny, it's a much tougher call because you're looking at 3 years and a big paycheque (personally I think he's worth it, but taking on a $6.6m usually means a big adjustment to your team). It's also a situation where if they move Liles, they'll be very close to the cap floor, so Stastny would have to be more of a hockey trade.

For a team like Toronto, he'd be worth making that adjustment because he's a 25 year old playmaking centre that would be almost perfect for Kessel. There aren't a ton of pieces that would be off the table for him, basically looking at Kessel, Kulemin, Schenn, Phaneuf (although IMO he should be on the table) & problably Kadri/Colborne. With those guys off the table, I don't see a logical package which could be put together for Stastny. The only thing that Toronto could really offer is the ability to send an entire futures-based package while taking no salary back.

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote