View Single Post
Old
02-21-2011, 08:52 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MURPHYS LAW 80 View Post
I dont know about that, Im not even sure you understood my point. I just dont see how he could be any worse than Fraser JFJ or Smac. Even if he isnt great defensively(-1 since 2006). What does a team like edmonton have to lose? They will be right around the league minimum next year if they don't take a flyer on a guy like Hagman. I could be wrong but I doubt any free agents will sign here.

If he doesn't work out he is gone next summer, if he does work out he can be moved for a part of the rebuild or kept for a late playoff run if needed.
I understand that Calgary is tight to the cap but it seems clear to me that there isn't much market interest for a player like Hagman because he brings one element that he is unable to cement himself with. That being his offense. He comes and goes as he pleases. Shows up on occassion with a flash that bias' fans eyes.

There are cheaper more effective options out there for the suggested role. He is better than JFJ or Smac for sure. But he lacks the physical element they bring. Besides that Fraser is a center. If we could pursue a forward with a combination of both much like Jones than we would have a valid target. Ryan Carter for instance, now he would have been a usable pickup at one point.

We have players like O'Marra and Vande-Velde that need a longer look than Fraser. Fraser is expendable imo. Great character but crappy player. There will be more than a few FA fish along with a potential deadline deal where we could move someone like Penner for a usable body and a 1st round selection. I'd even consider Hagman and first +. In that case Hagman is an able body up front where is his best asset is up front where it should be. In the top six.

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote