View Single Post
Old
02-22-2011, 05:22 AM
Sanderson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Listen to the commentary. Pete says Suter is a bit feisty with the hit he put on Doan. Doan is below the faceoff dot, takes three, maybe four strides from a dead stop, puts his shoulder firmly into Suter's chest. Suter had just made a play on the puck, was turning around to make another play on it and Doan took him out. There was no raised elbow. There was a massively solid hit from Doan to Suter. I hate that Suter got injured but Suter just dumped Doan into the boards, Suter had the puck, Doan got up, got some pay back. This is hockey folks. If Doan had jumped, skated really hard at Suter or elbowed him I'd be right there and say it was cheap. If you stop the video at around 29.6 game time, Suter was in a bad position, a little bent over, Doan was even bending at his knees as well, looks more like a shoulder to chin hit than anything. Suter got rocked. It happens. And looking at it one last time, Doan took a few strides after he got back up then coasted into Suter. That's not a charge, it wasn't an elbow, it was a big league check by a big boy.
Meh, I don't really see charging either, but it was definately interference. Neither was Suter in control of the puck nor did Doan attempt to play the puck, he went right after Suter. That's one of the problems in hockey, players think they can barrel through an opponent just because the puck is in his vicinity. Here's a hint, the purpose of playing hockey is to score goals, you can only do that with the puck, ignoring a puck that runs freely to take out an opponent does not get you closer to scoring.

I'm all for big hits, but players should know when to use them. Hits were meant to seperate an opponent from the puck, that was the only reason it was ever allowed in the first place. A player who has the puck somewhere between his legs without any knowledge of where exactly it is, is not a player you should hit. If you choose to ignore the puck and go after an opponent, it's as clear cut as interference can be.

Not that this was particularly vicious or dirty, but you could prevent quite a few injuries if you would teach players how to hit properly.

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote