View Single Post
Old
02-22-2011, 07:58 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
And every time Poile has made a bold move, Forsberg, Witt and recently with Fisher, most people moaned about what he gave up. Can't have it both ways.

Let's also go back to an important fact, 4 1st round picks, in back to back to back to back years that netted them Malkin, Fleury, Crosby and Staal. Name me one team that has ever had the number 2, 1, 2 and 1st overall picks in the draft in successive years? The path was laid for Shero long before he ever got there. Yes, he's made bold moves with the roster he was given. Will Pittsburgh have long term success with him there? Do deep pockets help? One Cup does not make Shero the best GM in all of hockey. It makes him a GM with a Cup to his credit but then again, Jon Gruden has a Super Bowl ring as a coach yet he's an analyst on TV. Lots of guys inherit teams that are on the cusp and do great things, personally, I like to see what they can do long term with their assets and how many legitimate runs they make at championships. So far so good for Shero but at this point in time, he's got one Cup and two injured stars.
Agreed. Both sides have valid points.

I would like to say that other than the Forsberg trade - the other two trades were far from bold. The Forsberg trade was an over the top, lets go for it move. The Witt deal was poorly made and telegraphed for months. It was also filling a gaping hole on the team that Poile refused to address in the off-season and entire season up to that point. The Fisher move is similar to the Forsberg trade in that it is a 'go-for-it' type deal, but it is also a move that has been more than necessary for months as our injury riddled team has been lacking at least one scorer, probably two, the entire season.