View Single Post
02-22-2011, 08:45 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Kings of the Ice
Alf Smith is remembered as a bruising winger at one point described as the toughest, meanest player ever to call Ottawa home.
Originally Posted by The Trail of the Stanley Cup; Vol. 1
He was a good scorer and was very prominent in the team's victories but was constantly criticized for his dirty play.
Originally Posted by Legends of Hockey
Smith played on a line with Frank McGee, making room for his talented teammate with his bruising style.
Originally Posted by Ultimate Hockey
Alfred Smith was possibly the meanest, most vicious hockey player of the early era. He was exceedingly expert with the stick, both for scoring and for head- cracking. He was an outstanding all-around player, a fortress of strength
Originally Posted by Out of the Mist of the Past
Smith earned a reputation early on for his rough and tumble style of play, as well as his short-fused temper.
Originally Posted by The Renfew Millionaires
In 1903-4-5 he captained and led the famed Ottawa Silver Seven to three world championships in a row.

Alf Smith !!!

Awards and Achievements:
3 x Stanley Cup Champion (1904, 1905, 1906)

Ultimate Hockey's "Best Corner Man of 1900-1909
Ultimate Hockey's "Most Able Instigator" of 1900-1909
Ultimate Hockey's "Best Fighter" of 1900-1909
Ultimate Hockey's "Dirtiest Player" of 1900-1909
Ultimate Hockey's "Most Hated Player" of 1900-1909

Points – 1st(1897), 4th(1905), 6th(1896), 7th(1907), 8th(1904), 9th(1895), 9th(1906), 9th(1908)
Goals – 1st(1897), 4th(1905), 6th(1896), 7th(1907), 8th(1904), 9th(1895), 9th(1906), 9th(1908)
Assists – (while not officially recorded, SIHR has found that Smith was one of the best playmakers of his era)

According to that SIHR study, Alf Smith recorded 23 assists in 32 games. That gives him a 0.72 assist per game rate, which was by far the best of his time. The second best per game average was 0.50, and that was Russell Bowie.

Originally Posted by Dreakmur
According to the SIHR study, Smith had 23 assists from 1903 to 1909. He had an average of 0.72 assists per game, so I just used that per game average to figure out how many assists to give him. I also adjusted other guys we know the per game averages for, and also gave some guys the benefit of assumed assists (if he jumped up to a tie for 5th with a guy who we don't know assists for, I just gave that guy an assist and dropped Smith to 6th).

Scoring placements:
1896 - he goes from 9th to 7th
1897 - he goes from 6th to 2nd
1898 - he goes from a tie for 1st to a decent lead for 1st
1904 - he goes from 8th to 7th
1905 - he goes from 4th to 3rd
1906 - he stays in 9th
1907 - he goes from 7th to 4th
1908 - he goes from 9th to 8th

I'm not trying to pass these off as his new finishes, becuse I have no idea how his assists were actually spread out. I just spread them perfectly even though his entire career, which is unlikely.

I am just trying to demonstrate the types of adjustments that should be expected if assists were recorded during Alf Smith's days.
Play-off Scoring:
33 Goals in 18 Stanley Cup Challenge games

He was second only to Frank McGee on the Silver Seven dynasty

Play-off Goals - 2nd(1904), 2nd(1905), 2nd(1906), 6th(1907)

One of the most impressive thing about Alf Smith’s career accomplishments is that he missed almost his entire prime! From 1897 to 1903, during which he was 24 to 31 years old, Smith was banned from amateur sports due to him accepting a bonus from a lacrosse team he played for.

In that 6 year ban, he played only one season, which was in the Western Pensylvania Hockey League. He played 22 games with Pittsburgh PAC and scored 28 goals and 17 asssists for 45 points.

Newspaper Clippings:
Originally Posted by The Montreal Gazette – March 25, 1907
Alf Smith was the life of the Kenora team, and without him they would have been in poor shape indeed. He rushed and checked like a fiend, bumping Hod Stuart or anyone else who blocked his path with an abandon that pleased the lusty-lunged rooters mightily. He had plenty of speed and did not spare himself.
Originally Posted by The Montreal Gazette – February 24, 1908
After the face off, Alf Smith broke away near his own end of the rink, dodged down through center ice, swung over to the left wing, and finally landed back in center in front of Nicholson and beat the Shamrock goaltender with a swift high shot.
Originally Posted by The Montreal Gazette – March 9, 1905
There was a dim suspicion that Smith and Westwick are not in the best physical condition, and they certainly showed the effects of the fast game at the conclusion of Tuesday’s match. Westwick held on well, but Smith faded perceptibly and lacked the vigour and dashing spirit for which he has hitherto been noted.
Originally Posted by The Pittsburgh Press – December 25, 1904
Manager McSwigan, of the garden, has done everything possible to get two fast wings, but they are not to be had. Tempting offers were made for Alf Smith of Ottawa....

Quotes from ATD GMs:
Originally Posted by seventieslord
Smith was the toughest player of his time, an excellent leader, a two-way player, very good scorer, and played both wings.
Originally Posted by seventieslord
… what you need to know is he was basically mr. intangibles. He was tough, dirty, good defensively, and a leader. His scoring was ok - I did a quick study and Smith's offensive contributions compared to a catalyst like Frank McGee were very similar to, say, Gillies or Tonelli compared to Mike Bossy.
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon
Alf Smith's scoring exploits are not nearly so impressive, but he was a catalyst on the Silver Seven dynasty. He had enough skill to be a decent scorer, and was constantly mixing it up with his rough and dirty play. Presumably got under the skin of his opponents, and more often than not went down the ice and scored a goal just to rub it in. Think of Claude Lemieux in his Conn Smythe-winning playoff season, and span it out over the course of several seasons, and that probably describes Alf Smith.

Last edited by Dreakmur: 02-10-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote