View Single Post
Old
02-22-2011, 11:47 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Aaaaah, but with what $$$? Under the current CBA, they don't have enough cash to make another max offer. Unless Carmelo is going to give the team a discount on his extension (yeah, that's a likely story...)? Will Paul be willing to take a significant discount to fit under the cap? I know I'd be pissed if I was him.

Of course the prospect of a new CBA makes this all a big wild card, but depending on how much similarity it has to the old one, we may be effed on getting that third star...
Two factors, (and this is my own inference) -

1) I continue to put weight on Ian O'Connor's disclosure on Sunday that Paul has informed the Knicks through intermeidaries that he will take less to join the Knicks if Melo is here. (This is also why I take it as important that CAA may have played a big part in this deal.)

2) Between Billups and Turiaf, the Knicks would have enough space to deal for Paul prior to next year's deadline. Plus, depending upon what the next CBA looks like, just like the Heat were able to add Bosh and LBJ to Wade, the Knicks would have just about enough space to add Paul in the summer, as long as the renounce everyone else...which is why losing the assets the Knicks did to make this deal isn't as bad as some have made it out to be. By getting Melo, it signals to me that the Knicks are going all in for Paul. In order to complete the triumvirate, they had to get Melo, even if it potentially meant overpaying to get him.