View Single Post
Old
02-22-2011, 12:02 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
If you're right about point 1, then ok - problem solved. But I would sure be annoyed as CP3. I mean, I'd be happy to take a little less if everyone else did too, but he's going to be asked to shoulder not only his share, but that of Amar'e and Melo too. That becomes a LOT of money. A lot of money and Amar'e and Melo weren't (we presume - Melo still has to sign) even prepared to take a third each, much less the whole nut as Paul will be expected to do.

As to point 2, I understand that they'll have the cap space - but what assets will they have to trade? It's all well and good that we'll be able to fit him in, but will we have to offer NO in the way of a return? Simply taking him off their hands for expiring contracts without offering any talent is not a compelling offer. It's effectively the same as letting him go to FA and basically saving the cost of one or two pay checks with nothing else to show for it on the NO side... (Which is another reason it sucks to have to give up almost all our marketable assets in this deal.)
What did they actually give up for Melo...okay, Gallo was a lottery pick, but Chandler was a late 1st, Felton was a moderately priced UFA, and Mozgov was an overseas UFA. They're supposedly adding a TPE and #1 from Minnesota in the AR/Fatso deal. And, they can likely continue to purchase #1 picks. Plus, you may get a buyers market if both CP3 and DWill are headed to free agency at the same time.