View Single Post
Old
02-22-2011, 02:41 PM
MrJoshua

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Middle TN looks good hockey wise and the move to push the broadcasting down towards Huntsville, AL is smart with the UAH hockey team already there.
There is a surprising amount of hockey in the Huntsville/Decatur area of north Alabama. Huntsville has the UAH Chargers and the Huntsville Havoc. There are youth leagues, travel teams, and adult recreational leagues (Decatur doesn't have a league this year, sticking with pickup games, but the Huntsville adult league has three divisions and a total of around twenty teams in it). There are quite a lot of relocated northerners in the area because of the amount of defense industry jobs generated by Redstone Arsenal and the Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville. I play pickup hockey with guys like me who grew up here, along with players from Maine, Detroit, and various parts of Canada. Jared Ross grew up playing here (his Dad was the coach at UAH for quite a while) and is now a prospect with the Philadelphia Flyers' AHL affiliate (he scored a goal for them in the playoffs a couple of years ago, which was kind of neat to see in a kid I've played against in a pickup game before).

There's plenty of room for hockey in the southern sports landscape. High energy, physical action, lots of speed and skill ... this sport has everything it needs to be a fan favorite in the south for years to come.

MrJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote