View Single Post
Old
02-22-2011, 07:14 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I base it off A) Watching him and noticing that he is not a very good backchecker or great at digging out pucks in the corners (he is best when stickhandling in open ice), B) That every criticism of his by coaching and management has been that his defense needs work and C) that he was given the roster spot not because he really improved at anything but that the team needed a scoring winger, which is what he is supposed to be.
... Well, for your points - A) agree to disagree, I thought Parse was certainly putting in the work to get back defensively and get into position, even though he had some things to learn about NHL defense and his size limited him along the wall, B) I've only heard Murray criticize his defense, and all I can attribute that to is that Murray favors the veterans (e.g., Sturm playing over Loktionov) - it would be one thing if the facts supported this notion that Parse is a defensive liability, but they don't, and C) I actually thought that last season Parse had the most meteoric and unexpected rise of a young Kings' forward in years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I don't think Parse works well on the bottom lines. I'd rather have Poni and Clifford as the bottom 6 wingers.
... I would agree there. If I had a choice, I would have Parse as a 1 or 2 LW and Ponikarovsky and Clifford as the 3 and 4 (or have both of them on the 4th line, for that matter) but I don't think for a second that Parse would embarrass himself out there on the lower lines if he was bumped out of the top 6 at some point. Parse and Simmonds were the two most efficient forwards on the team last season in terms of the results they were able top produce given their limited ice time, and it's a shame that all of that was thrown into the dumpster with Parse's injury and with the way Simmonds has been jerked around. Murray really had a golden opportunity to facilitate the rise of two solid young players, and in my view he's utterly failed to do that. I can't help but think that with a different head coach, at least Simmonds would have progressed.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote