View Single Post
Old
02-23-2011, 11:14 AM
infidelappel*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Oh, sure, and Staal is a better player today than he was then. But to suggest that Brind'Amour had taken a backseat or something...

Brind'Amour played 24.18 a game that year. 24 *ing minutes a game from a forward! And that's the regular season!

He played 23.52 a game in the playoffs.

So, Cartsiephan needs to slow down with the revisionist history a bit here.
Fair enough. But even so, he was still most valuable for his shutdown abilities than for his point-getting, even though he played a metric butt-ton of minutes. Everyone knows that Brindy was the driving force of that team...but comparing him to Staal at that time in terms of being a franchise player is just pointless.

More valuable to that team, yes. But the comparison just doesn't translate to the 'franchise player' argument the way Giroux vs. Richards would.

And in any case, I think Richards would still be the heart-and-soul of the team, even if Giroux eclipses his offensive importance. So I'm not disagreeing with you saying that Richards is our franchise player, just pointing out that the Brindy/Staal argument in general is irrelevant (and yes, Cartsiephan brought it up, so I'm not blaming you).

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote