View Single Post
Old
02-23-2011, 11:35 AM
DUHockey9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPPower View Post
Can someone please explain to me the point of waiving Z, are we really trying to acquire another player by the trade deadline? That would be the only reason I can think of to do it. I say just let him sit as he is unless we end up needing him due to injuries, we are under cap w/ him... Who could we be looking to pick up now?
He's basically worthless to us in that he pots some goals doing his own thing from time to time but doesn't do anything else. Lavi won't play someone that doesn't buy into the team.

That said, getting the cap relief is a big plus for this team. For one, they COULD go acquire another piece if they wanted to, but honestly I don't expect it. The bigger reason is that this will clear $2 million (in annual cap dollars) which can then be used towards paying bonuses (JVR, Bob, OD) THIS year rather than having to roll them over into next year, and essentially playing with a slightly reduced cap (this is what happened to Chicago that caused them to have to dump so many guys). So if we can prevent an extra million or so from hitting us next year it is huge because Giroux and Carter are getting raises, we now have Versteeg making 3 million on this team, and we need to sign Leino. The savings from Z can go a long way in accomplishing that.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote