Thread: Waived: Zherdev
View Single Post
Old
02-23-2011, 02:31 PM
nexttothemoon
light.end.tunnel

vCash: 50
Well I jumped on the waiver bandwagon for Grabner and then Hagman... and I'll do the same now for Zherdov as well. He's scored 20+ goals 3 times and he's still just 26 and on a $2 million salary.

Of course he's a UFA at the end of the season so he'll likely be gone then anyway... but I still like the idea of giving him a shot on the team for the last 20 games. Who knows... he may even like it here and want to re-sign for a reasonable salary.

I know he's got a "lazy" rep but we aren't likely to get chances at many 60 pt per year players for free. It's a low risk move... play him for the final 20 and let him walk or try to reach a moderately priced deal with him in the off season. I think it's worth a shot at trying to upgrade the personnel on the Oilers.

For those who'll play that old broken record and say there's no room for him... waive JFJ/Brule or another marginal roster player.

Obviously the lesson by now that Oilers management should have learnred is that teams around the league aren't frothing to pick up other teams junk so there's no real danger of the Oilers junk being picked up either... and if they are so what. Plenty more better players to pick up on waivers to replace them.

Can anyone honestly say that if the Oilers had picked up Grabner, Hagman and now Zherdov... that this team wouldn't have a better offensive outlook for the future?

I'm of the opinion that the Oilers should constantly be looking for upgrades like these and be willing to rotate out and waive players that haven't worked out as well. OKC should be a useful development tool... and players being sent down there isn't the end of the world.

The Oilers are simply too scared that their "valuable junk" will be picked up off waivers so they are shooting themselves in the foot by not taking advantage of some of these waived players. I'd love to find a few more surprises like Ryan Jones for free out there.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote