View Single Post
Old
02-23-2011, 04:15 PM
Whiskeypete

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
DL seems to take extra care in finding European (specifically Russian) players who want to come over, like Voynov, Loktionov and Kitsyn.
anyone can criticize him when it comes to the "Lombardi type of player, character" references we always hear. what the criticism doesn't take into account is 'his' guys want to be here, they want to work into the system. ie, Voynov coming and making a go of it; in the past those guys just stayed overseas. during DT they may attend the prospect camps and/or training camp, but once they were demoted they went home and never came back. such a waste of picks and talent.

in the past i was among the masses always looking for the quick fix at the deadline. with what has and is happening i have swung the other way. i so want to see what becomes of these kids, to see LA push into the elite status in the league each year. after seeing how the 'Moneyball' influence has worked for other org's, i don't see why it won't work for LA.

i hate hammering on DT. i love and respect what he did in uniform, but i think it's clear he didn't have a strong plan for running a team. it's one thing to be a great player, quite another to succeed on the front office/ops side.

when and if the Kings get to the point of trading fan favorites that are all-stars, replacing them with younger players (that keep the cap down) and receive 1st/2nd round picks.....the system will be working.

i always use what Belichik and NE have done in the NFL using this type of system. they continue to be a threat each year and the reason they can do this under a salary cap is to be able to move guys out and replace them with equal to better talent.

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote