Thread: Trade proposal
View Single Post
Old
07-22-2005, 11:47 PM
Wild Thing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MePutPuckInNet
uhhmm....perhaps you're new to the Wild then? They need skilled players....as in...more than one. In my scenario, if I'm correct [and I'm not sure that I am, I'm still trying to find out], but the Wild could potentially end up with a late 1st round pick, an early second and possibly a second round gift in '06.
It's not a bad proposal. In fact, it's got a lot of merit. If we were talking about the # 8 pick, or the #10, or whatever, I'd probably be all over it. But this isn't a very deep draft, and the chance to snag a legitimate top 4 talent is a very rare opportunity. There's a huge disparity between the top 5 guys and the 25th through 40th.

I just think that right now we need a potential franchise player a lot more badly than we need a couple more Goobers or Schultzes. You're absolutely correct in your implied suggestion that late 1st round picks and early 2nd rounders are the guys you build a team with; but a #4 pick is the kind of guy you build a team around. It'll probably be years before we get another chance to draft this high, and I don't think we should waste this opportunity.