View Single Post
Old
02-24-2011, 12:42 PM
Whiskeypete

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nK View Post
Speaking of missed opportunities I hope LA and DL are able to take advantage at this years draft. Its a weird draft were after the top 8-12 players the scouts have a varying range on the next 15-30 players.

If LA makes the playoffs and ends up with a pick in the #18 range I'd like to see them move down and accumulate more picks for 2011 or 2012.

In 2008 NJ traded its #21 for #23 and #54.
NJ then moved #23 for #24 and #73

Later the Ducks traded #30 to PHX for #35 and #39.

So basically a team could move its #18th overall for something in the range of
#35,39,54,70,73

Obviously LA takes a player they REALLY want if available, but based on his draft history in LA, Lombardi seems to do better in the 2nd-7th rounds.
based on the 'weak draft' estimates i am hoping he makes some moves like this. if they get to say #54 (hypothetical) and there isn't a player on their chart near that pick then move it. stockpile the picks for the following year, or as cards to be used in a trade. it doesn't make sense to draft a kid at #54 that you've charted at say #70.

it's going to be interesting also to see how many teams are looking to trade down picks. if there are to many then it makes it extremely difficult to get the addt'l picks.

the primary goal imo though is to trade up this summer to get into the top 5-top 10 so he can go after one of the top LW prospects. after that then go for the trade down strategy, unless there is a target at near prospective talent.

ive also been saying Dean should be trying to make some moves of D prospects for some prospects on the wings. go after the likes of C Kreider from NYR or T Beck from NSH

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote