View Single Post
Old
02-24-2011, 02:39 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
And how exactly are we better than last year's team? The team that had one of the best Kings records EVER?
... Without the shootout, the Kings would have been 36-28-18 last season. That equates to 90 points. Not a bad season, but it barely squeaks in at around #9 in Kings' history, a little ahead of the 05-06 team and a little behind the 88-89 team. The Kings' goal differential was +20, about 7th in history - well behind the 88-89 team, which was +41.

This season, the Kings would be 26-25-9 without the shootout. That's 61 points in 60 games, which prorates to about 83 or 84 points for the season. Their goal differential is +17, so it projects to be better than last season. While that doesn't automatically make this season's team better, it might indicate that the Kings were a bit luckier last season than they are now.

Quote:
Quick isn't even better this year, just more rested.
... He's FAR better, far more consistent. Quick's save percentage for this season is .922. Last season, he didn't even have one month where he had a save percentage that impressive.

Last season, Quick's save percentage at home was .899. I'm not sure if there was any #1 goalie who was worse at home than Quick was last season. For the first two months of last season (when everyone is fond of saying he was "lights out" before he got tired) his save percentage was .900. That's not "lights out". It's not even "average". It's bad.

This season at home, Quick is at .927. For the first two months of this season, he was at .928. The difference is like night and day.

Last season in the shootout, Quick was 8-6. This season, he is 7-0.

Quick's W-L record last season looks more impressive because he played behind the 9th best offensive team in the NHL. Now, he's playing behind the tenth WORST offensive team in the NHL. That's reason #925508 why ranking goalies by wins and losses is a bad idea. This season, Quick has had to work harder for his wins, and he's had less margin for error.

Quote:
Doughty's been worse.
... He's been better defensively, worse offensively. But then, that can be said for the entire team.

Quote:
Johnsons' been better.
... For sure.

Quote:
Kopi is Kopi.
... Kopitar is having the best season of his career. It's sad that people can't or won't see that, because of who has played alongside him this season.

Quote:
Brown... can be argued both ways.
... Brown was better overall last season, but there's still time left this season to make up the difference. I think he has another hot streak left in him; if the Kings are lucky, it could be during the playoffs.

Quote:
Simmonds is worse.
... He's been handled so poorly this season. He's exhibit A, in my mind, why Murray should be fired at the end of the season. Wayne is so much better than this.

Quote:
Smyth is the same.
... Yep, definitely.

Quote:
Stoll is slightly better.
... I think he HAS been better. I don't think there's a more versatile player on the team than him.

Quote:
Williams is better.... but not even really better so much as just healthy.
... Williams was good for the first nine games of last season. After that, he was poor. This season, he's still been a hit or miss player, but he's definitely picked up his scoring level. It shows what going into a contract year will do to a man.

Quote:
Greene is the same. Scuds is the same.
... Scuderi has been a bit better, Greene a bit worse. Again, there's still 22 games left. We'll see.

Quote:
Mitchell adds something over what we lost in OD.
... What has he added? More man-games lost to injury? Nah, Mitchell's been fine when he's actually played. But then, that's why he cost more than O'Donnell did.

Quote:
Poni < Fro.
... They don't really compare. Frolov was wrongly done last season, and the Kings' problems at first line LW are almost like karma has bitten them in the ass. I think Ponikarovsky's done about all that can be expected of him, given the time he's missed due to injury, and given as little ice time as he's received when he HAS played.

Quote:
What have the Kings done this year that they didn't already do better last year?
... They've played a little better defense, and they're getting far better goaltending. That's been enough to offset the decline in scoring, but the luck they're getting in the close games hasn't been as good as it was last season. The division is more wide-open this season than it was a year ago, and I still think the Kings can and will win it. Their margin for error continues to be very small, though - not only for the rest of the season as a whole, but game-to-game and period-to-period as well. Mentally, this team will have to be stronger than they've ever been.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote