View Single Post
Old
02-24-2011, 06:00 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Time for someone to start a new thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM67 View Post
Considering that scoring usually drops when talent increases, and the ATD is quite a step up from NHL talent level, I would expect that unless you have a Bobby Clarke on you 2nd line type checking line, that nobody used in a checking role will net 50-60 points.

Here is a table comparing yearly average % of the league leaders in goals, assists and points. Walker is compared to the league leader, the others are compared to the 4th place finisher.

PlayerYearsGoalsAssistsPoints
Walker1628.8%44.6%36.6%
Gillies1443.8%38.0%43.5%
Duff1847.2%34.7%41.1%
Gainey1628.4%22.8%26.8%
Olmstead1441.8%74.0%63.6%

Note that Walker's NHA assist lead is capped at 100% by comparing to himself, and many of his other years will suffer from his being compared to Cyclone Taylor. Also his points % will be hurt by assists being awarded at less than 1 per goal during his career. His averages are further hurt by his playing only 1 game in 2 seasons. One he jumped to another league that isn't counted, and the other he went into military service during WWI.
Excellent chart; this is basically what I expected.

And you are right, no one's gonna get 60 points on the 3rd line here.... literally no one. Even if it's a scoring 3rd line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
Yeah...I actually went back and checked. With what you had on the first unit powerplay, I can't imagine you giving your second unit more than 25-30% of the man advantage icetime, and if that's the case...well, I don't know how much credit the other GMs gave you for Keith's offense, but it was likely too much. He was basically just a grinder for you,
that's a bit unfair. First of all, what's wrong with three top-10s in goals? Secondly, the years where he was top-10 in total goals but not in ES, his ES ranking would have been very close to 10th, certainly top-20. For a guy in the post-euro era, that is very solid no matter what angle you take the knife to it.