View Single Post
Old
02-24-2011, 10:04 PM
Ricky Bobby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
There's something that you have to consider -- at $2.25m, you can problably afford to stick Joffery Lupul on the 3rd line and get somewhat of an offensive catalyst there. At $3m, you may not be able to do that, which is where you have to consider whether or not it's in your best interest to part with a 26 year old player who is your leading point-getter.

The whole "selling while his value is high" notion is also extremely overplayed on these boards. Every player is fairly valued at all times, it's only the value to his team that changes. For MacArthur, he's valued based on the fact that he's only had 1 good year, so his value would go up with a repeat performance, or down with a bad year. The big thing that may make his value higher to other teams is his cap hit for this year, which really isn't all that relevant to Toronto down the stretch. They've got enough cap space to make practically any addition they want.
This whole leading point getter thing is getting out of hand.

If Kessel had a decent center or even someone like Lupul (basically anybody but 4th line/ahl guys like Crabb, Caputi) on his wing most of the year he would have far more points than C-Mac. But he hasn't and Kessel has basically been an island of a player because he couldn't trust his linemates (at least until Lupul came in) to help him in anyway (feeds, opening space, etc.)

C-Mac also only has a few more points than his linemates Kulemin and Grabo. But out of those 3 C-Mac is the least valuable player moving forward for this team.

They would be selling C-Mac at a high point because the competition to get into the playoffs is fierce this year and most of his cap hit is already gone. If he is willing to take a hometown discount then by all means I'm for Burke keeping him but if he wants UFA type money then Burke should trade him. Get the assets from the trade then actually go sign a UFA to take his place. I would consider it a very proactive trade for Burke instead of a reactive one which he'd probably need to do late next year when C-Mac wouldn't really have a proper place as this team gets closer to being a good team.

But overall I think me and you are actually agree on the same basic concept.

Ricky Bobby is online now   Reply With Quote