View Single Post
Old
02-25-2011, 01:16 AM
Habit11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
I didn't see the game...

but can someone please explain to me what Eller/Pouliot/Desharnais/White did to earn such paltry ice time?

I honestly have not see the game, the only highlight I caught was a goal where a Laff scored from the slot on a pass from down low, where the defensive centre was clearly at fault for not picking him up, and who skates into the picture as the Laffs are lifting their arms in celebration... #11.

we lose by 1 goal.

how is that mistake not more reprehensible than Pouliot's minor shove that led to a dive and a penalty vs Vcr...

I don't get it.

Can someone (preferably not an eternal optimist/ "the coaches/management can do no wrong b/c they are the pros and they know best" type of poster) PLEASE explain to me what logic or rational could possibly be behind Martin's approach.

early in the season, at least you could make the argument that he was trying to get the veterans going, but at this point, he needs to give the guys that are playing the best the most opportunities.

Anyone who has followed the flames this year can attest to the difference in approach applied by Sutter.
On the flames, the guys who are playing the hardest and who are the most effective, get more ice time.
That meant that even while they were losing, you often saw their 4th line guys getting quality minutes late in games.
some media guys and tons of fans complained incessantly... thing is that it played a HUGE factor in their turn around.
the players (from the top down) finally understood that if you do things well, you get rewarded.
Eventually the top players started doing things as well as the bottom players, and surprise surprise, they were even more effective than the bottom guys, and the team started winning.

what push does Gomez really have to be better, when no matter what he does he knows he's got his 20min and pp time?

what message does that send to the rest of the team?

Martin, for all the great work he does in certain aspects of the game, is slowly but surely showing exactly why he wasn't able to lead a stacked team to any real success...
It was a strange game... tons of power plays and penalty kills, so the players you mentioned got the short end of the stick tonight, as they are seldom used in special teams situations. Kind of had a similar feel to the Bruins game just without all the fighting. One of the poorest officiated games we've seen all year, for both sides, even some of the icing calls were botched. Weird game.