View Single Post
Old
02-25-2011, 04:58 AM
Dreakmur

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
I don't think counting as deep as the top-10 in a split league scenario makes much sense. Dunderdale led the PCHA in goalscoring three times. He finished 3rd once and 4th once. That's basically his offensive peak, because he wasn't any kind of playmaker in an all-time sense. I have no idea about these "good" seasons in the MHL and CHA, but they most likely add only to his non-peak longevity.

Dunderdale is a good pick here and I think a comparable goal-scoring centerman to Joe Nieuwendyk with an extra physical dimension and without the playoff credentials, but let's not make his non-peak offensive seasons out to be something they're not. Placing in the bottom part of the top-10 in PCHA scoring is basically meaningless. There were only 12 regular forwards in the league most seasons. Also, where do you get the idea that playing rover qualifies a skater to play any forward position? The rover was like a more defensive center. The position had almost nothing, whatsoever, to do with playing on the wing. In modern hockey, Dunderdale would be a center.
I wasn't intending that to sound like I was trying to oversell him.

I do agree that placing 10th in the PCHA isn't a great accomplishment, but it isn't meaningless. It's still a season where he produced at a reasonable level. Same with his MHL and CHA seasons - they don't really add to his peak, but they do add more seasons where he was able to produce at a decent level. Probably 5 of those 10 seasons would equate to a top-20 in today's NHL.

I think you are under-rating his playmaking. He's certainly not a guy who can be a primary passer for a line, but he does have some ability. He does have 7 pretty decent playmaking seasons, 3 or 4 of them would translate into the equivelant of a top-10 in today's NHL.

I'd agree that Dunderdale doesn't have Nieuwendyk's play-off credentials, but he was a pretty decent scorer in the play-offs.

I always though the rover was kind of a "do whatever is needed" position - one that would translate into all other positions without much stretch. Perhaps I misunderstood the position. Either way, he will almost certainly end up at center anyway.