View Single Post
Old
02-25-2011, 05:39 PM
no name

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Knoll View Post
The thing that never made sense was that he was acquired as a stopgap at LW, weeks after Parse had been injured (not that Parse was a sure bet even if he were healthy), yet he was a couple weeks from playing and months from playing effectively even if there were not setbacks.

Some knowledgeable hockey people have asked, well, who else was available? The Devs were already in really bad shape and Langenbrunner got moved shortly after Sturm does. The price was a higher but still basically marginal. Langenbrunner is a RW, not a LW, but they were already playing Brown at LW by that point and have done so since, too. I don't think Langenbrunner would have averted the two long slides but he would have been more effective than Sturm and been a quality veteran presence in the locker room to boot.
I think it was one of those things where there wasn't really any downside. If he couldn't cut it, it wouldn't cost assets. If he was 75% of his typical career he was a big upgrade over everyone else.

I just don't appreciate Murray serving him everything on a platter despite the fact that he didn't earn a thing. In fact, he deserved to be scratched the majority of the games played, yet Murray kept running him out there to ruin productive lines. He even did the things Murray hates, like constantly leaving the zone without the puck, and not attempting to play the game hard far too many times.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote