View Single Post
Old
02-26-2011, 12:14 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

vCash: 500
I find it strange when people or scouts start talking about a forwards' two-way or defensive play. Both Couturier and Lando get this a lot, and it is really of nominal value in the big picture, other than they might be a bit more ready to play next year (which again, shouldn't be the focus when drafting). It's quite possible guys like RNH or Huberdeau or Strome will end up better defensive forwards.

Most of the best defensive forwards we have ever had were drafted as offensive players first and defence wasn't even part of the equation. Hossa as an example, was criticized when drafted as a guy with a load of offensive potential "but someone who couldn't find his own zone with a map", as I recall the quote. In the end, he is argually the best defensive forward we ever had. Kelly as another example, was a small offensively gifted player in the OHL deemed too small to produce at the NHL level, which is why he was drafted later. No one projected him as a two-way checking center. Bonk was another guy who all-offence when drafted, but adapted his game to be one the of the best two-way centermen we ever had.

Given I like both Couturier and Lando, this isn't meant as a criticizm. Both play mature games. But that isn't really what the focus should be one. What type of impact player they will be on the franchise is the real question.

Just venting, I guess.