View Single Post
Old
03-01-2011, 02:35 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
It's only human nature. I can understand it too.

You are part of a team that has a serious chance at a good playoff run. You can't help but look ahead and be part of it.

Esp. if you watched last year as guys like Carter, Leighton, Boucher and Gagne got hurt and had to miss good parts of the end of the season or the playoffs.

In the back of your mind you're thinking, it's only Ottawa, why should I kill myself when we can coast to victory. Once Hartnell scored, they all thought "well, that's it, the Sens will fold" except they didn't.

I used to do it in my men's league. Show up for a game not feeling well, tired from work, and just try to get a good skate in, go through the motions a bit. Don't tweak your knee and save yourself for the playoffs next week.

Not that it's an excuse, and it's not like the players aren't having these conversations themselves or hearing it from the coaches, but it's hard to fake urgency when there really isn't any. I think they'll wake up now and really push.

The next five games will tell. We get the Leafs twice, Sabres and Rangers and Oilers. Four games against teams fighting for their playoff lives. Let's see how it goes, then panic if necessary...

Yeah, great post Larry. The bolded part is the situation in a nutshell, IMO.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote