View Single Post
Old
03-01-2011, 03:51 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
The same people clamoring for Richards will be wanting to go after more big names in subsequent offseasons and trade deadlines.

Fans gotta realize that we we will only be able to add one mega contract over the next 3 or so years. So the timing and more importantly the player has to be a well calculated decision. Not just some spur of the moment "hey lets grab him because its trade deadline day and we can make some noise" decision.

I also hate the mentality of grabbing a player just because he is a UFA. I understand that it means your keeping all your assets but it also tells me that zero evaluation went into the decision. I mean what are we paying our pro scouts for? The same guys who decided that Drury, Gomez, and Redden were building blocks for a contender even though they couldnt even carry a third line or third defensive pairing.

I want to get Brad Richards if and only if he is the best man suited to fill our hole. Not just because he is an UFA. Not just because he has a history with Torts. Not just because he has put up stats elsewhere. It's Glen and his cronies job to truly make this call after a helluvalot of internal debate.
I agree with most of what you say. But not every team will have the opportunity and/or good fortune to draft/develop a 1st line center. However, I'm glad they didn't deal what was supposedly requested by Dallas. There is an excellent chance we can sign him this summer...but as you say, are we convinced he is the right guy for the job?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote