Thread: Buy Outs
View Single Post
Old
07-25-2005, 03:44 PM
Levitate

vCash: 500
kaspar and holik are the guys most likely to be bought out, but I can see the Rangers waiting a bit to get a feel for their payroll before making that decision.

the rangers will likely be active in the FA market, but don't seem to be targeting the big name big money players all that much this time around...they've spoken a lot about how they want to bring in the right kind of players who can help their young players develop and all of that...so I wouldn't be expecting superstars, but solid players that help steady the team. It's also possible they might try to pull some trades for some younger talent, like RFAs that other teams aren't keen on signing.

as for goalies...the rangers have said they're going with Weekes in net with Labarbera backing him up to start the season. Weekes is pretty good, and can be real good if he gets hot. but ultimately he's a stopgap until Lundqvist gets adjusted to NA hockey. Lundqvist is an athletic goalie and pretty good on breakaways. He might even start the season in NY if he plays really well in training camp, but it might be a bit more realistic to have him starting in hartford to adjust some before getting the callup

as for Poti...I don't think his trade value is very high right now, so they could just be hanging on to him for now...a lot of ranger fans don't like that idea but...if he ends up the only real offensive defenseman this team has, and is used correctly, I can see his trade value getting pumped up through the season and then possibly see him dealt down the road.