View Single Post
Old
03-02-2011, 03:56 PM
MarkovsKnee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goalie Mask View Post
You might want to go back & read the various post prior.....you comments have taken things out of contexts

To your points- Subban, Price Pac are part of our young core keepers but there`s other holes to fill....Eller`s good but in my opinion not a first line center candidate

If Markov doesn`t come back 100% than we need a top pairing defense to compliment Subban

The discussion is about the following possible core foundation of a top tier team

Cores(untouchables)

1 goalie
2 def
2 top centers
1 Top power forward
1 Utility player

Everybody else around this core are support and depth players to round out the team.

Questions is who is currently a core young player and what is missing and how can we get it?
Like others said, I think we already have most of those core that you speak of:

Goalie: Price
D: Subban and Markov (if he is healthy. If he is not healthy then we need a D)
Centre: Plekanec, one more.
PF: Pacioretty
Utility: Leblanc

You do need to surround these players with a strong secondary core though. People constantly complain about the fact core players like Stewart and Johnson were traded but that was for each other. St. Louis could afford to do it because they identified Pietrangelo as their #1 D going forward and wanted Stewart. The only player equatable to that on our team is Subban and we can't afford to do that. Let's not forget that the Blues got Johnson and Pietrangelo because they sucked and got top picks. Habs snagging Subban in the 2nd round was a huge steal for us.

Like a lot us have been saying for awhile, the Habs really need a centre to help out Pleks. To say PG isn't trying to stock core players is ridiculous. There were all kinds of rumours that the Habs were trying to get Stastny out of Colorado, and that we were looking at Weiss in Florida. There were also rumours that PG offered Atlanta two 1sts and Kristo for Bogosian and they turned him down. That would have given us, Markov, Subban and a big shut down D in Bogosian on our blueline.

I think PG knows what we need but trading Patches for Bogosian is a sideways move for us, which is probably what we'd have to do. We gain a core player in Bogosian but lose one in Patches.

We'll see what PG can pull off at the draft. I think he's willing to give up 1st rders and good prospects for the right player and probably anyone on the team not named Pleks, Patches, Subban or Price, but it has to be for a player who is actually going to help the team improve.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote