View Single Post
Old
03-03-2011, 01:57 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingStone View Post
Not offensively gifted by any stretch. Last season, he scored a measly 24 points in his rookie year. On top of that, he was left off of the Ivan Hlinka tournament roster for team Canada.

He's a boom/bust player in the first round because he's such a late bloomer. Yeah he's doing okay this year but he doesn't have first line potential. After watching him, I would project him to be a 3rd line checking center at best -- ala Paul Gaustad or Martin Hanzal (but can fight).

Some think he has higher potential. Is he a Ryan Getzlaf or is he a Chad Kilger? That remains to be seen. If a team takes him within the top 10, I will feel really bad for them. Mark is far from a blue chipper. There are much better options out there for sure.
Ryan Getzlaf put up 18 points in his rookie year in the WHL. Mcneil plays on one of the leagues weakest teams. He is literally the only bright spot to me. 68 in 70 in second year. Whereas Mcneil is on pace to put up two points more. So much for that case.

He's pushing a PPG in his pre-draft year. That is hardly a "late-bloomer" for WHL point standards. He has under-rated puck skills. Which include passing and stick handling. The edge, hard nose and great work ethic are all added plus'. Kilger has been a lifetime winger. McNeil is clearly a center. Perhaps a winger in transition but not likely. I see a similar edge thoguh. Lastly, he is not "far" from a blue chipper. He has some developing to do but he is very likely to contribute at the NHL level.

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote