View Single Post
Old
03-03-2011, 06:21 PM
braindead

vCash: 500
Personally, I think this team is much, much closer than most seem to think. Look at the goals against number-- that is Stanley Cup caliber defense. Our D corp still is coming into its own and I'd fully expect that it is more dominant over the next 3 years. Our fowards can play defense and a PK anchored by Smithson/Spaling will continue to emerge IMO. Our goalie is spectacular and does not look like a flash in the pan.

When healthy, we can roll 3 or even 4 lines that are solid second lines. In this market, with our budget and our defense, I think the philosophy of building three "second" lines can win a cup. What this team lacks this year, as said above, is healthy centers.

To me, Poile has pulled off not one but two rebuilds right in front of our eyes and nobody seems to notice. You don't notice because he did it without tanking. We have a supremely young team and are well on our way to working our way out of the Liepold blow up era where we lost Kariya, Timmonen, Hartnell, and Vokoun-- then lost Rads a year later. Now, we are near the end of the Arnott-Sully-Dumont era and look to me mostly well positioned.

Sorry to be so optimistic.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote