View Single Post
Old
03-03-2011, 06:17 PM
STUTOMMIES

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dangla View Post
AUS....

The guy I was talking about is coaching at Lake Forest in the NCAA, he went to STU. His name is in the ring.
Nice find Dangla.
Seamus Gregory, BA ‘04
Chicago, Illinois
Hometown: Harbour Grace, NL
Major: History
Profession: Hockey Coach

Seamus Gregory, BA ‘04, is living the dream. His job as assistant coach and head recruiter for a college hockey team blends his two passions - teaching and hockey.

“I’ve always wanted to be involved in something educational ever since I was a little boy,” the St. Thomas University alumnus says. “I wanted to be a gym teacher. That was my ultimate goal if I didn’t make the NHL.”

As he got older, though, his dream changed. He now hopes to coach professional hockey.

His coaching career began at a Catholic high school in Lynn, Massachusetts. He taught and coached at St. Mary’s High School for five years and was then offered a position on the coaching staff at Lake Forest College, a small liberal arts college in Illinois.

“Coaching is the right career option for me. I love the game. And I like working with people. I also like to learn new things every day and the game changes every day. That’s a big thing for me.”

He says his education at St. Thomas University helped him excel as a coach.

“Going to a liberal arts school gives you new avenues and different ways of interacting with people. STU helped me mature as a person. It has helped me succeed as a coach.”

He says St. Thomas University’s small community sets the school apart from others.

“St. Thomas offers something that other universities can’t. It’s not every day that you can walk into the Registrar’s office and ask for a meeting, or go into the residence hall and see your residence co-ordinator, or get to know the Tim Horton’s lady in the student union because she makes your coffee the same way every morning.”

Students are not just numbers at St. Thomas, he says. They’re not just people paying tuition. At St. Thomas, he says, students are recognized for who they are and are encouraged to explore the different avenues the university has to offer.

“St. Thomas is the best thing that’s ever happened to me. It gave me a chance to succeed, and without St. Thomas, I wouldn’t be where I am today.”

http://w4.stu.ca/stu/future_students...n/stories.aspx

Last edited by STUTOMMIES: 03-03-2011 at 08:30 PM. Reason: add source link, whoops