Thread: WC: Roster Talk '11 USA
View Single Post
Old
03-03-2011, 06:27 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

vCash: 500
It's so hard to guess what will happen with a US world championship roster. There are a few things I'd like to see though...

We've seen a lot of very young, talented teams in the recent past that lacked experience. I'd like to see more mid to late 20 year olds involved who've been around the pro game for a long time. I think this may help in the games against the top European teams who always seem to come out ahead of us in this tournament. These guys should still be viable options for best on best tournaments when they come around so we're not necessarily throwing any guys who are over the hill in. As a side note to this, I don't want to throw any 18 to 20 year olds on the roster if they're barely going to play.

Also, I hope we avoid last years formula of taking any NHL fourth liner who's willing to play simply because they play in the NHL. We need players who can create in the offensive zone and if we can't find that amongst NHL'ers I'd hope they could at least consider some guys from the minors or Europe. The European teams consistently win using a good number of non-NHL'ers and I think we could as well if we are smart about it. All that said, I realize last year was an Olympic year and it had a serious impact on players who were willing to participate but should the worst case scenario happen, let's try to get creative and think outside the box. The relegation round is unacceptable to me.

cagney is offline   Reply With Quote