View Single Post
Old
03-04-2011, 05:47 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

vCash: 500
A bit more on Barrasso. I remembered him being a great playoff performer for those Penguins teams in the early 90's, but I went looking for confirmation just in case my memory was foggy. Turns out I was right. The first article is from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - May 27, 1991 (after the first Cup victory):

Quote:
Barrasso played Game 6 against the Minnesota North Stars Saturday night as if it were his last game. He took one for the team - a shot of pain-killer to the groin - then stood up to the North Stars' xxxxxx, who ran him in the opening seconds, stood up to 39 shots, stood up to his critics who long tormented him by saying he can't win the big games.

For a guy who was a questionable starter - the missed the final two periods of Game 5 Thursday night with a pulled groin muscle - Barrasso was at the top of the Penguins' long list of heroes in their 8-0 Cup-clinching victory.

The shutout, the first in the finals since 1986, was fairly indicative of Barrasso's play in the postseason. He finishes with a 12-7 record and had the best goals-against average (2.60) and save percentage (.919) of the playoff goaltenders. He easily could have won the Conn Smythe MVP award if Mario Lemieux had not played so spectacularly in the final three games against Minnesota.
The second is from after Pittsburgh's second Cup victory. It's a pay-per-view article, so you can follow the link and see the abstract, but anyone who wants to read the full text will have to shell out three bucks. From the St. Louis Post-Dispatch - June 3, 1992:

Quote:
CHICAGO - Pittsburgh star Mario Lemieux gazed at the Conn Smythe Trophy sitting on a table beside him Monday night at Chicago Stadium and wondered whether he deserved it.

He already had one ''Connie Smythe,'' as he called it, in his trophy case at home. He felt that Penguins goalie Tom Barrasso might have been a better choice this year for the award given to the most valuable player of the Stanley Cup playoffs. ''I thought it was Tommy all the way,'' Lemieux said. ''He was superb the last three games of the Washington series, when we came back from a 3-1 deficit. ''He played unbelievable when we swept Boston. This should have gone to him, that's for sure.''

Instead, the big guy, Super Mario, collected his second successive Conn Smythe to go with the Penguins' second successive Stanley Cup. Pittsburgh wrapped up their Cup defense Monday night with a 6-5 victory over the Chicago Blackhawks to complete a four-game sweep. Barrasso, 27, finished a distant second in the MVP voting, but he said he didn't feel the least bit slighted. To him, it was a team accomplishment.
Now, the business of Mario saying that Barrasso should have won the Conn Smythe should be taken with a grain of salt. I do not believe that Barrasso should have won the Conn Smythe in either case over Lemieux, but he did play extremely well and was clearly the Penguins' second best player in those Cup runs. Without Barrasso standing on his head, it's likely that Pittsburgh never makes it out of the first round in 1992. His reputation as a money goaltender in Pittsburgh was well-earned.

I just wonder if it's ok in the ATD to just not draft a backup, at all? Heh.