View Single Post
Old
03-04-2011, 09:54 AM
MathMan

vCash: 500
1- I think it might be Gagnon desperately trying to dispel the notion that he got pulled in by a fake Twitter account.

2- I would have done that in a heartbeat. I understand why PG didn't do it, but this would've been an excellent trade for Montreal.

Penner is an impact player, especially at even strength. He has an extra year on his contract, and is young enough that the Habs could have re-signed him for the next year. He is also exactly what the Habs need.

If the Habs' first-round pick yields a player as good as Penner, they will have been extremely lucky. In all likelihood, that player will not have an impact as great as Penner, and it certainly won't happen over the next one to four years, which is the window the Habs will be competing in (mind, I think they're shooting for consistent competitiveness).

Tinordi is the type of D-man that doesn't become dominant. They are useful NHL players, sure, and fine guys to pick as the 22nd overall (though adding a 2nd to go up and get him was foolish, IMHO; there were enough interesting prospects that drafting at 26th would've yielded a player of similar quality). Tinordi's ceiling is as a fourth-best D-man; nowhere near the impact of a top-line player like Penner.

It was a fantastic deal for the Kings and it would have been a fantastic deal for the Habs. I'm unconvinced that the deal was ever on the table, but if it was, I am disappointed Gauthier didn't pull the trigger. Mind you, I can see the argument for not doing it, but Penner filled the Habs' needs so nicely and with such a reasonable cap hit.

In other news, Tambellini is a terrible GM.

(About AK vs. Penner: I don't see them as mutually exclusive. I like AK, I think he should absolutely be re-signed. I like Penner for many of the same reasons, except Penner is better than AKost as a top-line player and doesn't need a Plekanec to be.)

MathMan is online now   Reply With Quote