View Single Post
Old
03-04-2011, 01:19 PM
Whiskeypete

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
He was playing sound defense in his own end all night last night. Of course, most folks napped through that.
not criticizing him for that. he was sound almost all night and played the body more than i expected. it will be interesting to see if that diminishes over time as he feels more comfortable. on a new team, new system it's one thing he can control. as time passes i hope he continues to take the body, because we saw what he can do to control the ice.

my critique is aimed at Murray's ability to destroy offensive creativity for the sake of playing D all the time. his system is so defensively rigid and confining it limits the offense, which in turn demands that D responsibility is even more crucial since they need to keep games close because of low scoring. im not advocating being lazy on the D side, but sometimes you've got to take chances. the top teams have that 'killer ability', the ability to 'put the boot to your oppoenents throat'. in other words to put more pressure on them whether it's offense or defense, to make them play how you want them to. playing a D first mentality to me is the same as sitting back and not putting forward pressure on an opponent, reaction rather than being pro-active.