View Single Post
Old
03-04-2011, 02:41 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
It does sound like Gagnon's just trying to justify getting sucked in by the fake twitter.

But stepping aside from the question of whether it was ever actually proposed from either side in real life, and just treating it as a fan proposal, I would probably pass on it from a Habs POV.

I don't really look at Tinordi as having equivalent value to a 1st round pick anymore. He's probably a 2nd-3rd rounder based on his current play, and I would value him accordingly.

That said, our forthcoming 1st round pick is probably something like 18th. 16th-22th-ish. Say. That's the wheelhouse of where we picked Pacioretty, and where we really ought to hope to be able to do something to make up for some other picks we screwed up in that range recently. It's still a player who *should* be an upper-echelon player for the team for many years. With risk. But with potentially high reward as well.

Penner is good, and I think he would have helped us, but it's still just 1 year and a bit from him. And he does add $4M to a cap situation that is already a bit full up front... there would be players let go/un-signed to accommodate adding his cap hit. AK might have been one. Or a good defenseman. So the extra year Penner brings on his contract comes at a cost too.

Bottom line, I wouldn't give up the 1st alone for Penner. The market value for him was higher, clearly, and that's ok. But I'm happy the Habs weren't in the market.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote