View Single Post
Old
03-04-2011, 11:05 PM
Synergy27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
One positive about how he manages the line combos is that he doesn't hesitate to reward forwards that are playing well by bumping them up the line-up and giving them more playing time... It gives the bottom 6 players motivation to play harder because they know they'll be rewarded for it with more playing time... It also reminds the top 6 forwards that they'll be demoted if their play struggles... I think people want to assume that leaving the lines together for long stretches of time will produce consistency and results, but that's just blind optimism... The lines wouldn't be mixed up so often if the players weren't so inconsistent... It's not like Torts breaks up lines that are playing well just for the hell of it... The lines that have been consistent do get left together, look at how many games Wolski - Stepan - MZA have played together, and Feds - Boyle - Prust....
Agreed, although I do think he's broken up lines while they were still going pretty well a couple of times this year. He's done a great job overall in my opinion, but he's thrown a few headscratchers in there too.