View Single Post
Old
03-04-2011, 11:27 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darth5 View Post
Like several of you I think the lack of quality depth up front results in just what we have seen the last few years: injury-plagued fizzles at the end of the year after an above average performance in the first 2/3 of the season. This is when points are hard to come by, and the team seems to reach it every year when it is least capable of keeping pace. By the team the playoffs start the team is winded just to have gotten there.

Hence the annual hand-wringing about coach and GM. Given his constraints, Trotz manages to push the team pretty far. I positively know the franchise could have worse coaches. But I think it could really be time for a new voice behind the bench if the Preds don't make the post-season or can't exceed the first round this year.
We talk about a lack of depth, but, look at where this team is considering who we've had injured. Our projected #1 center played in two games ... the #2 and #3 centers both missed substantial time. O'Reilly has been out for months. Sully on IR several times. Erat's been dinged a couple times. We lose Tootoo for about two months. This is one area where our lack of any elite forwards is actually almost beneficial. When one goes down, we're not trying to replace an Ovie or Crosby ... we simply reshuffle the lines, call up a guy from the Ads, and continue to play within a system. We don't have flashy depth (then again, we don't have flashy starters) but we do have serviceable depth to to keep the ship afloat for prolonged stretches.

If Wilson continues to develop into the player we've caught glimpses of this season and Geoffrion continues to perform ... we're not in as bad of shape as a lot of fans think. A little more home grown, Poile drafted talent up front to go with Hornqvist kid he picked with the last pick.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote