View Single Post
Old
03-08-2011, 11:08 AM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Mtl fans and many fans around the league have a very simplistic way of quantifying and differentiating talent.

I'm willing to sacrafice some talent and picks to get better, but that trade wasn't IT... by a mile.
I wouldn't say a mile. I would prefer Byfuglien, but I saw Penner up close last night and he brings a lot to the table, including possession time in the offensive zone that creates those second and third chances.

Fast skater, decent acceleration for his size, but his balance and center of gravity isn't where it should be. His agility is better than Buff tho. His legs look small compared to his upper body. I think Chara and Pronger would have it easy with him. He has very good hands and is a good passer. More of a skill guy who can cycle than a power forward. He lets himself get boxed out too often. He hustles though, good backchecker. At least he is so far with LA. Not a dominating force down low though. That's not his game. He did come off the wall with the puck to the net once, but he is kind of happy to just cycle with it a bit. Turns it over on the wall too. I'm guessing the physical element to his game was more a component of the Getzlaf line when he was in Anaheim just because of the combination of players. He doesn't consistently play that way at all. Even still, he's easily a top line winger with us and would have brought some badly needed size and skill.

Solid player who could have definitely helped the Habs. And, as a previous poster said, he is 11th amongst all wingers in goals over the last four seasons.

Not saying he's worth the price of Tinordi and a first though. In the end, I don't think he's a difference maker in a series against Philly or Boston, so I agree with the decision PG made.

And, of course, his wife LIVES in LA and he probably would have signed there anyway after his contract. Why waste assets?

Last edited by tinyzombies: 03-08-2011 at 01:09 PM.
tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote