View Single Post
Old
03-08-2011, 10:49 PM
mkoster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
For that package, Ottawa would rather keep Spezza.
They have plenty of cap space and they need at least one legitimate center.
The window for trading him has already closed, as he was up for trade until the Sens paid his signing bonus last summer.
I don't see why Statsny would be moved either.
Yzerman has already stated that he isn't trading Lecavalier.Tampa Bay has a new owner who is committed and nearly $15m coming off of their cap this summer, in addition to their nearly $10m in existing space.
Don't forget the $2-3m projected additional cap space after this season either.

Philly only has imaginary cap problems and if anything, they would bury some of their stupid contracts (Shelley) or trade one of their second pairing defenders.Briere would be the first center moved if they had to, as Carter is signed to a better contract and is younger.
I don't think the window for moving Spezza is closed yet, if Ottawa is going into full rebuild mode their two biggest assets in Alfredsson and Spezza are going to be moved obviously if the right offer comes along. I am sure Murray(if he's still GM by the draft) gets an offer that makes sense for Spezza that allows them to add Couturier or Nugent Hopkins to replace Spezza down the road and add another asset, Spezza will be packing his bags.

I am sure Colorado is listening to offers on Paul Stastny. They have Duchene who is now the face of the franchise with Ryan O'Reilly right behind him on the depth chart and not to mention they have Joey Hishon waiting in the wings. So by moving Stastny it can fill other holes within the franchise. They center position is a position of strength for the Avalanche and with the rumblings of Colorado going into a Re-tool Paul Stastny being moved makes sense. He should be the number one target in the offseason if he is being shopped.

If Yzerman stated he is not trading Vinny then I must of missed it. I remember watching at the beginning of the season the TSN panel and I remeber them saying something about Vinny, something along the lines of if they were going to move him it was going to because of financial situations. The moving Vinny window has probably sailed but I would definitely look into it.

I think the Philly situation is something to keep an eye on, mostly because there going to be strapped for cash the next two seasons now that they have taken on Versteeg and his salary, JVR will be looking for and extension after next season. Not to mention with Carle and Coburn as well will be looking for contract extensions and potentially could walk for nothing. The key thing to also factor in is Phillys goaltending im sure they want to upgrade more then anybody so in order to make a run and not even an elite goaltender but one that can bring stability they need to shed salary.

mkoster is offline   Reply With Quote