View Single Post
Old
03-09-2011, 09:04 AM
edog37

vCash: 500
I coached high school a few years ago & a couple of lessons learned....

1) Don't assume the players have the same passion for the game as you do. You have to find ways of motivating them to go beyond what they think they can do. You can pick up a book on drills or attend a USA Hockey Coaching clinic to get those, but whatever drills you come up with, make them relevant & make sure the drills get the players involved.

2) Roller hockey players are different than ice hockey players. To the point where snowboarders are different than skiers. They will have different habit. Keep that in mind.

3) Parents. The only 4 letter word in the coaching world that is actually 7 letters long. You will learn this soon enough.

4) Get any requisite certifications from USA Hockey out of the way if you haven't done so. You'll need them to coach anyway.

5) Also keep in mind that the players you coach are not just playing for you. They are probably playing on 3-4 other teams with 3-4 other coaching styles. This is where you have to stand out. Personally, I'm not a big fan of this practice since I think it actually hinders a player's development, but it is the reality of the day.

6) Bring your enthusiasm & passion for the game to the rink every day. That will sell it to the players who by nature, are reluctant to begin with....

Good luck believe me, you'll need it....

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote