View Single Post
Old
07-28-2005, 01:43 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorley 33
I say give him awhile on the 4th and let's let him feel more comfortable. He's said when he was playing that the lack of goals was hurting his confidence!
Yes, I'm sure Dustin Brown will get plenty of scoring opportunities playing on the 4th line with limited ice time. If anything, being demoted to 4th line ice time will be a bigger blow to Dustin's confidence.

He just scored 29 goals and notched 74 points in 79 games and led the team in scoring in the playoffs with 5 goals and 7 points in 6 games.

Limiting his ice time to 4th line duty isn't going to develop a prospect. He has to get consistent ice time on the top two lines. Take a look at Adam Deadmarsh and his development with Quebec/Colorado. Both players are just about the same size and build and are right handed shots that could play the LW.
Deadmarsh started slowly his first season with Quebec, but showed a lot of promise with his style of gameplay and constant hustle, similar to what we saw in Brown in his limited time playing for the Kings in 2003-2004.

Deadmarsh never spent any time in the minors after moving up from the WHL to the NHL and was 19 when he made his pro debut (and played in all 48 games during the shortened season in 94-95).
He then went on to post 4 consecutive 20+ goal seasons (21, 33, 22, 22) and was usually playing with Sakic and Scott Young on one of the Avs top lines (the other scoring line for the Avs had Forsberg centering Valeri Kamensky and Claude Lemieux).

Now, I'm not going to predict Dustin Brown to be an exact Deadmarsh clone, but they have the same determination and style of forechecking. Dustin is less of an aggressor and although he will get his nose dirty, throw some big hits and be in the face of opposing defensemen, he will not frequent the penalty box or drop the gloves on a regular basis.

The Kings management is confident in Dustin and I think we may find him playing wing on the second scoring unit. He showed in Manchester that he can fit in well in a scoring role, and I expect him to earn a spot on the opening night roster, and it won't be on a 4th line.