View Single Post
Old
03-09-2011, 10:58 PM
ShotDownCrosby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arglebargle View Post
Yeah I don't think people realize just how expensive healthcare is in the US, even for people who are insured. Insured people are often bankrupted by having to pay the insurance premiums.

In fact medical bills and medical insurance bills are a leading cause of bankruptcy in the United States. A lot of people lose everything because they get a serious but treatable illness and just can't afford the medical bills or insurance premiums.

Also most insurance companies will fight tooth and nail not to pay for expensive procedures. Many Americans with insurance coverage have to wait for some bureaucrat to sign off before they can get a medical procedure done.

The main difference between Canada and the US is that in Canada if you have a serious illness, you get treated for it no matter who you are and you won't pay for it out of pocket. In the US you're SOL if your insurance company can exploit some loophole in the policy, because they don't care about you or your family. They want to collect your insurance payments without having to pay your bills if they can help it.
The funny thing is, as far as our own taxes, we don't pay much more in tax than American's. And we get care, REGARDLESS.

It does suck that you might not get an MRI immediately, or you may wait in ER for 6 hours when you have a broken foot. But in the end of it all, I am thankful EVERYDAY that I live in Canada.

Although, when it does come to kids, most insurance companies won't say no to kids needing things, in the states. But even so, the families still have to pay a chunk from their own pocket.