Thread: Oilers Future
View Single Post
Old
10-12-2003, 11:09 AM
IceDragoon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
What this team needs is a mental overhaul when playing teams like Vancouver, Dallas, etc where they don't fold at the immediate sign of trouble.
From your lips to MacT's ears.

"What we have to understand is that referees make mistakes at times and you can't let that lose your focus as a hockey club," said Oilers coach Craig MacTavish. "Our inexperience showed and that's something we're going to rectify in a hurry."

http://www.canada.com/edmonton/sport...B-351AEDB12A1E

They are a young team, with a lot of new faces. Altho I don't accept their loss of composer, I understand it. This was a "school of hard knocks" kinda game. Lot's to learn from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
It's a belief and confidence in a system that will get them over the hump no matter the opposition. They're a young team and when they can't believe in themselves, at the very least they can believe the coach and what he has devised. I know that defensive style isn't going to be popular... but I can't see any other way to avoid these kinds of games.
Bingo. MacT has them working just such a system. The more they work it, the easier it is to rely on it. And altho it is basically a defensive system, it does allow for our talented players to be creative.

You can't fluke the positioning and puck support I saw in game #1. The bad luck in game #2 was "flukie" and the boys lost some focus against a top team. On the plus side, they shut down the Canucks top lines and very prolific PP. And if it wasn't for "luck" the game was a lot closer than the score.